Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Geoffrey the Giraffe

growing up, I thought Toys R Us was cool, but my main interest was their mascot character Geoffrey the Giraffe. Believe it or not, I first had memories that Geoffrey had a giraffe family in the earily commercials for this great toy store. Of course that was back in the 1970's-1980's. I didn't go there much, as the only closest one was in a shopping center before the SmithHaven Mall. But the few times I went there, I have never seen Geoffrey in costume form walking around the greet the kids. It was on my trip to Toys R  us in NYC that  I finally met up with him  and had my picture take with him in his cartoony form (which is what I most remember him by). He was much taller than me, as  I had only made it height wise to his nose. But he's the giraffe that makes us laugh. The next time I saw him in person, was when the store made a more realistic verison of him. Met up with him and got my picture taken with him. Personally, I much prefer to see him in cartoony form.
        The only few Geoffrey products I bought was a plastic candy tube as a Christmas thing. The tube was filled with red and  green M&M's candies, and the top cover was of Geoffrey in a Santa suit with his two giraffe kids in his arms on each end. I think the Geoffrey family consisted of Geoffery, Mrs. G, Big G, and Baby G. (I'm not changing her diapers) I found a few websites that took me down memory lane of animation cels of the animated Toys r us commercials featuring Geoffrey and his family. Of course I got a few Geoffery merchandise in the NYC store. Very big place, and they even let you play with their toys.  Sometimes I thought I was crazy for remembering these things, but turns out that sometimes what you're trying to remember might be just within your fingertips.

No comments:

Post a Comment